Detergent pods make kids sick
CHARLES REX ARBOGAST ASSOCIATED PRESS In 80 percent of studied cases, the affected children swallowed the detergent pods, researchers found.
By Lauren Coleman-Lochner BLOOMBERG NEWS
NEW YORK — More than 17,000 U.S. children came into contact with laundry-detergent pods in 2012 and 2013, sending thousands to hospitals and resulting in at least one death, according to a study in the medical journal Pediatrics.
Researchers, examining statistics for kids younger than 6 from the National Poison Data System, found that the number of exposures to the pods jumped more than seven-fold in April 2013 from the previous March. The children were hospitalized 4.4 percent of the time, and 7.5 percent had a moderate or major medical outcome, according to the study.
The detergent packets, such as Procter & Gamble Co.’s Tide Pods, have become increasingly popular with Americans. Researchers suggested reducing the risk of poisoning by changing packaging, reformulating the detergent or better labeling the pods.
In response to the study, the American Cleaning Institute said detergent makers have been working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to reduce accidents since 2012.
In 80 percent of cases, the children swallowed the pods, while an additional 7.2 percent got detergent in their eyes, researchers found.
Don’t really think this requires any sort of comment. . . other than — so sad, on any account! Jan