New from Dr Mercola this day, a fine article outlining how to do the “Smell Test” with Peanut Butter and a ruler which I fully intend to do after I buy some peanut butter. This of course is coming from Dr Mary Newport and her ongoing Alzheimer’s scientific investigation. (God bless this woman!) There is a small video featuring her as well. I also hope that you all take the time to read through the transcript below which Dr Mercola has put together detailing all that he has found to be relevant concerning staving off this dreaded disease.
As much as I have amassed on the subject (for obvious reasons), this was so relevant that I also copied this down, printing it out for my files. There were some other pointers he made that I wish to recall and carry through on. So please don’t overlook reading through the full article. Jan
Two Exciting Alzheimer’s Advances: A Novel Early Detection Test Using Peanut Butter, and a Study Evaluating Coconut Oil
- At present, an estimated 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer’s disease. By 2050, this is expected to jump to 16 million, and in the next 20 years it is projected that Alzheimer’s will affect one in four Americans
- The ability to smell is associated with the first cranial nerve and is often one of the first senses to be adversely affected by cognitive decline.
- In patients with Alzheimer’s, the ability to smell peanut butter through the left nostril was found to be significantly impaired
- Patients diagnosed with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s have been enrolled in a clinical study—the first of its kind—to evaluate the effects of coconut oil versus placebo. Results are expected in about a year
- Previous investigation suggests that ketone bodies, an alternative fuel for your brain that your body makes when digesting coconut oil, might offer profound healing benefits in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease
It is predicted that 1 in 4 of us will be affected by Alzheimer’s, and treatments are rarely effective, making early diagnosis become all the more important. Interestingly, using peanut butter and a ruler may help you detect the disease – and this everyday oil may help reverse it…